I’ve been dedicating a lot of my posts recently for the classic “woman on-the-go” (see #Influencer interview with Christina Choi Cosmetics for her multi-functional beauty line). Today I want to extend this skincare post to celebrating our executives and entrepreneurs, hence the title “beauty on the grind.”
I’m currently 8 months pregnant and chasing after a 2 year old. If that doesn’t sound exhausting, throw in a full-time gig and a 5-9 hustle, and it’s no wonder I feel my skin going through all the un-glorifying effects of hormones and stress.
A girlfriend of mine suggested argan oil but after doing tremendous amounts of research, I came across jojoba oil and became even more confused with a plethora of natural oils which all seemed to have useful and unique functionalities.
I eventually found the perfect manufacturer that produces one of the best and purest organic natural oils and consulted with their skin specialist & brand ambassador Courtney Olson from Leven Rose to talk about my personal concerns of dehydration, fine lines, & under eye circles (aka raccoon eyes).
Courtney and I nailed down 3 of the major factors that affect the average executive, entrepreneur, and woman on-the-go, and their resulting effects to our skin.
- High Stress: Anyone that works in a high-stress environment needs to understand that the territory comes with some backlash so its important to be conscious of the wellness components on how to manage the stress from our skin. When a person becomes stressed, the level of the body’s cortisone rises, triggering unexpected flare-ups that can lead to increased oil production, dehydration of the skin and a host of other skin problems.
- Travel & Jetlag: Especially those who travel often, exposing your skin to environmental and climatic changes can wreak havoc on your face. For frequent fliers and international travelers, the symptoms of jet lag are all too familiar. Disturbed sleep, daytime fatigue and skin dehydration are all major factors during travel. Consider even your morning commute- Going from the outside air to being stationed in an office for several hours, sitting in manufactured ventilation, can send your skin’s natural moisture balance out of whack. Our body is covered but our face is completely exposed, leaving it most vulnerable.
- Hormonal Changes: Nothing impacts the look of your skin every month more than your hormones. It fluctuates during your period and over your lifetime and influences your skin in many ways. Consider the female hormone estrogen- in the skin, estrogen builds collagen, elastin and protein that give the skin its vibrancy and elasticity. Our estrogen levels peak around age 25, then drops slightly in the 30s and more significantly in the 40s. As the overall level of estrogen decreases, the skin does not bounce back the same way it does during each menstrual cycle. Instead, collagen and elastin production decreases, which causes the skin to get drier and lose its elasticity. The loss of estrogen impacts aging skin far more quickly than sun damage.
Now that I’ve depressed you enough, let’s talk about solutions and the importance of using natural oils. Natural oils help regulate your skin’s oil production organically and it doesn’t have to guess what your environmental factors are. Having a daily skin regimen that combines natural oils is so crucial to your keeping the balance of your skin. If you are familiar with any of the three mentions above, your skin is constantly playing “catch-up” to its natural environment so having a daily skin regime care routine around creating a positive environment for your skin is essential. This way your skin’s oil production calms down and doesn’t feel the need to over-produce.
With so many natural oils, how do you pick the right one for your skin?
- “Jojoba is a great starter oil,” says Courtney.
“Jojoba oil is great for all over the body. Especially if you travel so much. I like having lean and mean beauty kits and jojoba is great for taking off makeup and oil cleanse with it. I recommend using it all over your face to lock in moisture right after you cleanse and it also serves as a strong base for your skin to even out your skin tone, minimize acne breakouts, and regulate oil production. Jojoba acts like a natural moisturizer so it’s chock full of vitamins and minerals that are naturally occurring.”
Tip: Lock in jojoba on your skin before you put on sunscreen and foundation for daytime use. For nighttime, use it as a makeup remover. It’s multi-functional and also great for hair, dry cuticles, and during pregnancies for stretchy bellies!
- “If your skin is prone to breakout, then argan oil is a great alternative,” advises Courtney.
“Argan is very powerful but it’s a bit lighter than jojoba and it’s better for fine hair. It’s a great all over and interchangeable with jojoba. Jojoba is a bit more potent because it has some anti-bacterial astringent properties which help with hydration and stress, and under-eye bags. But argan is especially appealing for skincare because it’s noncomedogenic or has a comedogenic rating of 0, which means it’s scientifically less likely to clog pores. It’s also a favorite as a hair oil for smoothing flyaways, treating split ends and as a protector before blow drying.
Tip: Keep this in your travel kit as your go-to hair treatment. You can use it either as a hair mask, or as a light fly-away treatment to keep you looking your best. It’s also a fantastic carrier oil if you travel with essential oils!
- “Rosehip oil is one of our bestsellers,” says Courtney.
Rosehip oil is from a plant that resembles a shrub and is known for it’s potent antioxidant power. It’s full of vitamins, antioxidants and essential fatty acids that are known to correct dark spots and hydrate dry, itchy skin, all while reducing scars and fine lines. Celebrities from Gwyneth Paltrow to Victoria Beckham and model Miranda Kerr have sworn by this product in keeping their skin blemish free and smooth.
Tip: This is your beauty night oil. Apply after cleansing your face and use instead of a heavy night cream. You’ll wake up refreshed even after airplane air or hotel pillows!
At Leven Rose, we produce 100% cold press pure natural oils. Our thoughtfully packaged dark glass bottles is designed to prevent UV ray damage. We focus on customer education because our personal interest is in improving lives through skin. We are 100% pure and guarantee satisfaction.